How to Get Divorced Easily and Quickly in Florida
Divorce in Florida is technically called “dissolution of marriage.” Here are certain important things that you should know about getting a divorce in Florida:
- Under Florida law, the fastest a couple can get divorced is 20 days.
- There are basically two forms of divorce – simplified divorce and regular divorce.
- You are only eligible for a Florida divorce if either you or your spouse has been a Florida resident for at least 6 months before filing the divorce petition.
In order to get a simplified divorce, both parties must:
1. Agree that the marriage is irretrievably broken
2. Not have children together under the age of 18
3. Reach an agreement on how to divide all marital property
4. Agree that there will not be a divorce trial
In case of a simplified divorce, you may not need a lawyer. However, if you are going through a regular dissolution because you disagree about alimony, division of property, children, or other reasons, you will need a lawyer. Always keep in mind that only a qualified divorce lawyer in Fort Lauderdale FL can adequately protect your rights in a divorce.